Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I write this, my last blog as Classic Ms. Global United, to the 2013-2014 Global United Pageant contestants. If you’re like me, now is the time when you are in full stress out mode- about packing, making sure you have just the right outfits, comfortable but cute shoes, an amazing scrapbook of your community service, and every little detail has been thought of, shopped for and readied. 
It is now that I encourage you, instead, to step back for a few minutes, and remember why you are in the Global United Pageant. Why this one rather than another one? You see, I was never a “pageant girl”. In fact, being in a pageant has always been the furthest thing from my mind. If you don’t know my story, please go to the Global United website and click on my photo. It will take you to it, where you will see that I have been on a journey over the past few years to change my life. Competing in this pageant last year was part of that journey. NEVER once did I think I would win. What I did instead was to enter this week being myself. For the most part I wore clothes I already had and didn’t lose my mind putting so much weight in how fancy my dresses were or if my shoes matched perfectly. In the end, I was given the talent award, Best Eveningwear and Best Interview, before having the beautiful crown placed on my head as I received my new title as Classic Ms. Global United. The judges’ made comments on my scoresheet that included “She has real and practical ideas that are already implemented and do-able plans for the future.” “She is the REAL DEAL. Very confident! GREAT eye contact!”, “AWESOME”, “well poised”, “working it!” and “So impressed with her”. And even while those things were said about me by the judges, other women that competed against me thought I shouldn’t have won. Please remember, none of the others are in the interview with you, none of them have reviewed your volunteer log, read your essay or seen your scrapbook. Be real. Be yourself. And never doubt that you CAN take home the crown. I wish you luck and can’t wait to meet you all!

Classic Ms. Global United 2012-2013 Lisa Stordahl <3
                                                     I'm marrying my biggest fan in 30 days!




No comments:

Post a Comment