Sunday, July 6, 2014

DJ Chivis - Sr. Ms. Global United 2013/2014


After 118 inches of snow for the season, spring is finally here!  In fact, it’s almost summer and those days of winter are well in the past! However, at the peak of the snow season, you can see the snow mounds almost above my shoulders (and I am a tall person).  I didn’t let the weather get me down, so I participated in several inside events.  I volunteered to make popcorn in February, March and April at New Branches Charter School where my grandson attends.  I also attended Linc First Friday Community event with my daughter, Kent County District- 17 Commissioner, (D), Candace Chivis.  In March I donated gift bags to the outgoing Ms. and Miss queen and delegates for the Ms. Wheelchair Michigan Pageant.  I judged the Sunburst regional pageant, and was a guest queen at the Mrs. Michigan America Pageant.

Due to the mounds of snow around my house, I could get all of my donations out of the house and into my car, so when the snow melted, I was finally able to donate to the Salvation Army and In the Image.  And I had collected many, many items!  I also brought 22 bags and 2 boxes of personal care items to the Mel Trotter Mission, which is a homeless shelter for men, women and children. I had never visited a homeless shelter and I was very enlightened and humbled.  I could not take photos inside – only of the sign outside.   I was given a book about Mel Trotter, and his homeless shelter and mission serves to be everything he prayed about to help people who had been through hopeless times in their life, much like his life, before he founded the mission.      

No comments:

Post a Comment